How to Use Pole Dance for Exercise
Pole dancing is exercise! Women (and men too) can use pole dance for fitness! Believe it or not, pole dancing is great for both your heart and your muscles! Pole dancing can tone up your body and help you stay heart healthy! Pole dancing increases and improves upper body strength, balance, flexibility, endurances, and the well-being of your whole body. Pole dancing training actually begins with strength training, just as is you were going to the gym. Some women also find pole dancing to be empowering and perfect for increasing their self-confidence.
Pole Dance Training
You can skip the gym if you are training for pole dancing! You’ll find yourself doing the same exercises for pole dancing that you would do at the gym! Squats, push-ups, sit-ups/curls, and other upper body exercises are critical to preparing to become a star pole dancer!
Pole Dance Stretches
- Lunges– Stay straight, bend one knee to a 90-degree angle, and keep the other knee behind you. Basic lunges are perfect pole dance stretches.
- Splits– Want to get more flexible? You’ll need to be quite flexible to be successful when pole dancing! Try splits. Keep your back straight and shift your legs to each side, trying to maintain your legs as close to 180-degrees as possible. Try to hold the position for 15 seconds.
- Hamstring Stretches– Sit down with one leg extended and the other bent in towards you. Flex the foot of your extended leg, reach for your foot, and maintain your back straight. Try to hold this position for a minimum of 10 seconds.
- Hip Stretches– Place yourself in a lunge position, but put your back-foot face down, slide your leg back, and push your hips forward and towards the ground.
- Planks – First try strengthening your arms using the basic plank position. Then put your weight onto one hand only and reach up with your other hand. Try this on both sides and twist your arm out towards the ceiling.
Pole Dancing for Weight Loss
Pole dancing is also great for losing weight. Did you know that you can lose up to 250 calories in one pole dancing class or session? If you use pole dancing in combination with other fat-burning exercises you can lose as much as 40 to 50 pounds within six to eight months according to CNN’s article, “Pole Dancing Helps Strip Off Pounds,” which features a story from a local dance studio in Atlanta, Georgia.
Increase Your Flexibility— and Your Confidence Too!
If weight loss isn’t your primary concern, and you just want to become more fit, pole dancing is still an excellent choice. Pole dancing has the capacity to greatly increases your flexibility! Pole dancing as fitness is on the rise. Famous and or expert pole dancers have incredible flexibility. If you are not flexible yet, you will be after you start pole dancing!
Like many other styles and forms of dance, pole dancing often increases the self-confidence of its dancers! Whether or not you already have confidence doesn’t matter, because after you start pole dancing you can improve your confidence and your self-esteem. Many pole dancers report a positive change in their mental health and use pole dancing for stress relief.
Interested in Learning More?
If you are interested in learning more about pole dancing, feel free to view our additional blog posts about pole dancing, or research the benefits of pole dancing by yourself! You can also view available pole dancing classes in the area by checking out our “classes” tab on our web page www.dancingmeow.com.